Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Begun, the Job Hunt Has

Right now, I'm in my last semester at Texas State University. I'm set to graduate with a Bachelors of Business Administration in Computer Information Systems in December of this year. As such, it's time for me to begin searching for a job.

I should note right away that my college experience has been dismal at best, and a total nightmare at worst. I haven't felt like I've gone through more of a grind in my entire life, and that's a horrible thing. College should be challenging and enriching, but instead it's been mindless and dull. Trudging through class has been the bane of my existence for the last two years, and I honestly don't have much to show for it in terms of new knowledge. The vast majority of the new information that I have obtained throughout my college life has been independently and outside the scope of class.

The problem is that my overall GPA doesn't reflect the lack of challenge. Quite the contrary, in fact, it would seem from an outsider as though I struggled through, hanging on to the one lone thread of understanding from a particular course and pulling it through to obtain a barely passing grade. That is an unfortunate side effect from a curriculum that isn't engaging or enveloping. Frankly, I don't think the knowledge and experience that I have gained while on this campus is enough for me to be a worthwhile hire for a potential employer. So I've been doing other things...

I just hope those other things are evident to my potential employers when I apply for a job.

No comments:

Post a Comment